Thursday, August 12, 2010

Salad Challenge

So for the past two weeks I have been doing my own little food challenge. I have been eating at least one salad a day as a primary meal – mostly at lunch time. The purpose is to see if I feel better, have more energy, and hopefully lose some weight. The goal is to continue the challenge until the end of the month.

My definition of a “salad” consists of 3-4 cups of a leafy green (i.e. Spinach, Romaine, Baby Field Greens) with a smattering of other veggies/fruit (so far mostly grape tomatoes, red onions, shredded carrots, dried cranberries and strawberries), and just a tablespoon of cheese (feta or blue). I have then topped it off with a light balsamic vinaigrette or light raspberry vinaigrette.

So far I am really enjoying this challenge. I do feel better, not as much of a “crash” after lunch. I also think it is helping me to eat better through out the day. I am usually really good in the morning (oatmeal or egg whites) and at lunch time I was tying to cut calories/save calories for dinner and as a result I was pigging out at dinner. I was also spending the better part of the afternoon looking for snacks. BAD! Now since I am doing this little challenge, I am still able to keep the calories down during lunch but I am also experiencing more fullness through the afternoon, less snacking and I am also eating less at dinner. GOOD!

Right now my favorite salad combination is a fresh spinach with dried cranberries, blue cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette. SUPER YUMMY!!

I’ll try to keep a update going on my little challenge!

If you dream it, then do it!!

Chandra

No comments: