Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First Couple of Weeks of Training

First a little background about me - I have not ran in about 12 years. I used to run 2-4 mile every other day for soccer, but that was back in high school. I have been working out pretty regularly for the past year - but running was not part of that. So part of my reasoning behind doing this event is to get in shape as well. I actually have three herniated disks in my lower back and my doctor and physical therapist both told me that I need to become a "ultra" athlete in order to make it through my daily life especially as a get older. Well to become "ultra" anything I need to lose about 60 lbs. Anyways, on to my training.

Okay, so I started training on May 17, 2008. It was already hot at 7 am! We met a Woodward Park and the coach proceeded to have us run a "warm up" mile. Not too bad! I was able to run the first half mile with little difficultly and then I did intervals for the last half. We then did our timed mile. This was supposed to be our fasted effort - yeah right, I was already tired from the first mile. So I completed it in 15.35 - yeah that is a really long time considering that majority of the runners came in under 10 minutes. So I was determined that I am a level 1 runner and that I needed to do intervals in order to train my body to run.

Tues - May 20 - We met at a local high school track. It was super windy! I ran the first half mile, then basically died. I could not catch my breath. I was coughing so hard I started puking! YUCK!! Was able to pull it together long enough to run for the coach to check my form - which is great! I left practice with instructions to see my doctor regarding the breathing issues.

Thurs - May 22 - We met at Woodward again and did two miles. I was still having some issues breathing but it was getting better. Shin splints are kicking in! OUCH!!

Sat - May 24 - We met at Woodward Lakes at 7 am in the RAIN!! We did 2.2 miles. I did pretty good, feel better because it was a lot cooler and the interval training is helping me stay focused on improvement. I still can't believe I was willingly running in the rain!

Had a couple of days of walking in here - was moving offices at work so I could quite get everything on the same schedule!

Thurs - May 29 - Met at Woodward again. Did 2 miles and shaved about a minute off of my mile time!!! The intervals are really helping me.

Sat - May 31 - Met at Woodward Lakes again and did another 2.2 miles. Great run this morning. Had a fastest mile of 13.22 this morning!! I will slowly improve! We also had out injury prevention clinic. Learned some great stretches and exercises for my back and hips. I also spoke to the trainer about my shins and I guess I am one of the few that is genetically predisposed to have shin splints!! THAT SUCKS!! I have to basically keep stretching and massaging them and to just deal with the pain.

More to come - next practice is tonight at 6 pm!

No comments: